Serves: 6 to 8
3 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes
1 bunch scallions (green onions), cut into thin rounds (remove roots & top inch of greens)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon crushed black pepper
In a medium bowl, whisk together the cider vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper until emulsified (well combined). Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
Boil the potatoes whole in salted water (1 tablespoon) for 15-20 minutes, until barely tender when pierced through with a fork. As soon as you can handle them, cut into one-inch chunks and place into a large bowl. Add the vinaigrette to the potatoes, then the scallions and toss. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving. Serve cold or at room temperature (ideal).
- If peeling the potatoes, do so as soon as you can handle them for easy removal.
- To save a step, add the green onions to the vinaigrette after whisking.
- Leftover potato salad makes excellent fried potatoes for breakfast.
- Use a sweet vinegar for this recipe. Apple cider vinegar is perfect, but rice wine vinegar will also work well.
- For extra flavor, add a tablespoon of Dijon mustard to the vinaigrette before whisking.