2 tablespoons (1 oz.) extra virgin olive oil (for sauteing onion and garlic)
2 15oz. cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed (set aside one-half can for garnish)
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
1 ½ quart chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
¼ cup fresh lemon juice (2 oz.)
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Sauté the onion and garlic in two tablespoons (1 oz.) of olive oil over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Add chicken stock and chickpeas and simmer for one hour, uncovered. Add lemon juice and olive oil and puree with a handheld blender, liquid blender or food processor.
Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour into serving bowls and garnish with whole chickpeas and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
To store: Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to one week.
- Extra virgin olive oil will bring more depth and flavor to this soup, so use it throughout the recipe.
- For a healthy meal, serve with salad or pita sandwich.
- Other garnish ideas include fresh herbs like oregano and parsley, paprika, microgreens – be creative.
- If using dried chickpeas, place them in a bowl of water and soak overnight in the refrigerator.
- Whether you’re using canned or dried chickpeas, drain and rinse the beans before using.
- For a vegetarian option, use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.