Makes: approximately 12 oval-shaped friands or 24 mini-muffin size
1 to 2 tablespoons melted butter for greasing pan
5 egg whites
1 ¼ stick unsalted butter, melted & cooled to room temperature (1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons)
¾ cup almond flour
1 ½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
¼ cup + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
24 fresh raspberries
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the inside of the friand tray or muffin pan well with melted butter and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, sift the powdered sugar and flour together, and then add the almond flour. In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites briefly until just combined, no longer than a count of ten.
Add the melted (and cooled) butter and vanilla to the egg whites and mix for a few more seconds. Add the flour mixture and beat until well mixed, about a minute.
Use an ice cream scoop to fill each hole until about two-thirds full. Place two or three berries on top of each friand and bake at 350 degrees until the tops are a light, golden brown. Insert a toothpick into the center to check for doneness. This is approximately 20 to 25 minutes for oval friands and 15-17 minutes for mini-muffin size. Oven temperatures can vary so keep an eye on them as they bake.
Cool for five minutes. Use an offset spatula or butter knife to loosen the cakes from the pan before gently turning them out. Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy.
- If using a silicone baking pan, place an upside-down cooling rack under the pan before baking for easy transfer in/out of the oven.
- Allow the melted butter to cool before adding to the egg whites or it could ruin their texture.
- Batter can be made up to two days in advance and refrigerated until ready to use.
- Try other ingredients to enhance friands – mixed berries, apple slices, citrus zest, chocolate chips, coconut, etc.
- Store friands in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days, and bring to room temperature or heat before serving.
- To freeze, wrap friands individually in plastic and freeze for up to three months.