The entry period has closed for our recipe contest in search of the Perfect Party Dip, and we have received over 40 great recipes for consideration! Tony and I will be reviewing all of the recipes this weekend to select our semifinalists, and our panel of judges will be tasting the chosen recipes on Tuesday.
Throughout the contest we have randomly selected recipes to be featured in our Recipe Contest Spotlight, and we will continue to do this until our winner is announced on November 6th. Today the contest spotlight is shining on Tom Shorma of Fargo, ND, and his recipe for Tom’s Party Favorite Cheeseburger on a Chip dip,
Tom’s dip is full of hearty goodness, which makes it perfect for tailgating or any fall/winter event, as it can be kept warm in a crockpot. Tom’s creative name for this recipe lets you know right away exactly what this dip is, and we also appreciate Tom’s detailed recipe, which takes you by the hand to ensure that your dip turns out just as good as Tom’s.
Thank you for sharing your recipe with us, Tom, and GOOD LUCK!
Tom Shorma’s Party Favorite Cheeseburger on a Chip Dip
This is a family favorite because it hits all the right buttons for us because: It is easy (you really can’t mess it up); it takes very little prep time; it is inexpensive, and it is flexible to one’s taste buds so it can be adapted to what you or your guests like.
This dip starts with a lot of flavor, but can be easily spiced up to your taste by adding some extra chopped Jalapenos – which I almost always do. You can also substitute just about any hamburger (beef, venison, elk, or my favorite, ground moose meat) to change things up. It is warm – and easy to keep warm – for those cold days of tailgating, just put it in a crock pot until it is gone. And last but certainly not least — it stays on the chip when you scoop it!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound 97% lean ground beef (ground venison, elk or moose work great because they are already very lean and good for you)
- One large jar of Kraft Cheese Whiz – 10 oz.
- One small jar Tostitos Salsa Con Queso / Medium – 4.7 oz.
- One can of Campbell’s cheddar cheese soup
- 1 teaspoon or tablespoon of chipped jalapenos, depending on what your taste buds can handle.
- 1 teaspoon of minced onions
- 1 teaspoon of garlic salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- Optional: 1 tablespoon of bacon pieces for topping – bacon cheeseburger on a chip!
- Preheat oven or crock pot to 350 F
- Brown ground beef in a pan over medium heat, drain any grease from meat and return to the pan.
- Toss in minced onions and garlic salt, saute with ground beef until tender. NOTE: This is where I put in the jalapenos if I want to spice it up a bit. If you don’t add them, the dip is mild enough even for young kids. You can also split up the master batch by putting it into two crock pots – one with jalapenos (for adults) and one without (for kids).
- Take the covers off the Cheese Whiz and the Tostitos Salsa and microwave until liquid, so that they can be easily poured out into your baking dish or crock pot.
- Add sour cream and mayonnaise into mixture. Stir until well blended.
- Add in Worcestershire sauce and ketchup and stir until well blended.
- Fold in shredded mozzarella and pour into a baking dish or put into the crock pot.
- Top mixture with the shredded cheddar and the optional bacon pieces.
- Bake in the oven until cheese is melted and dip is heated thoroughly, about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve warm and start dipping with just about any kind of chip. I prefer Scoops because I like a lot of dip per chip. A person can also upgrade the tip for a more formal party by using a toasted baguette or crunchy pita chips.